Keep back-to-school time from becoming berserk by getting things in order before the first day. Get your back to school printable here.
Putting the following strategies into action now will save a lot of time and anxiety later!
- Shift your schedules. The lazy, unstructured days of summer are ending, and so is your child’s freedom to sleep in and eat erratically. Ease him back into a school schedule by shifting his bedtime back to a school-day rest and waking him closer to the hour he’ll need to rise.
- Have a morning routine run-through. The week before school starts, start getting your child up, dressed, and fed at the exact times as you would on a school day. Both you and your child will benefit from a few practice runs to smooth out trouble spots and get comfortable with the routine.
- Clean house. Hopeful for a good school year? Take some time and clean the house. Go through your child’s clothes, and get rid of anything they have outgrown or worn threadbare. It’ll be easier to choose outfits if there’s less clutter.
- Stock up on supplies. Now is the time to stock up on school supplies. They are easy to find, and they are really on sale. 👏🏻 Make a list of everything your kids will need for the coming year, from socks to crayons. Ask their teacher 🍎 or the school for a list of supplies, and check what’s missing. Buy extras of essential items and store them for later. You will be thankful you did when it comes to school projects and homework! 📚
- Get papers in order. Get those papers in order! Take a minute and call the school, ask what paperwork your child will need to start. Take care of any missing vaccinations or forms ASAP, then gather all the papers in a large, clearly marked envelope or file and photocopy everything, or collect all required documents into a folder on your desktop. Bonus points for storing them in a file on your phone!!
- Create calendar and file central. Now is an excellent time of year to create a family calendar. Set up an area with an extensive calendar so everyone in your family can see everyone else’s plans for that month. For added organization, color-code each family member and keep colored markers nearby so everyone can easily mark goals—pen in after-school activities, lessons, play-dates, and family time. Even if your kids add Minecraft and TV time to the schedule! 😂
- Keeping a place for your important files is a must for families—file central. Set up file baskets or bins marked so you can easily find what you are looking for.
- Keep your books in order, so they are easy to find and grab. Try the rainbow 🌈 method from @thehomeedit; it makes finding your library beautiful and straightforward!